Sunday, November 21, 2004

Garden State

Yesterday, Dominic and I went to the San Antonio Botanical Gardens.



It was a damp, gray day, and when we got there we were two dollars short of having enough cash to be admitted. The Gardens didn't take credit card or check.

"Who doesn't take credit cards now?" Dominic said.



We fidgeted around the front desk, walking in and out of the gift shop, trying to decide whether we wanted to go to an ATM and come back or just go home. The guy at the front desk looked left then right, then he shooed us through the door.

"It's cool," he said. "I have a lot of friends in the military."



Before we even got to the gardens, before--in fact--we were even out of the apartment complex, I remembered I'd forgotten to brush my teeth.

"No, keep going," I said to Dominic as he braked.
"Baby, you have to brush your teeth."
"YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!"

But apparently he has the same authority. We turned around, and I brushed my teeth.



On our way to the gardens we saw this:



A British flag mini cooper with a Texas license plate--somehow the most un-Texan thing I've seen here. We drove at least a half-hour to get to the gardens, and then somehow we stumbled upon a road that runs near our apartment just five minutes outside the garden gate, and it took us only fifteen minutes to get home.

"Strange, Dominic said."



This is the first yellow leaf I have seen here. It's as if fall doesn't even exist.



We took so many pictures that the battery in our camera died, so when we stumbled into the fruit gardens there was no photographic evidence to document the fact that we totally picked and ate some small oranges, even though there was a sign that told us not to. I choked on a seed.



Most of the flowers we took pictures of were in the conservatory. I told Dominic that at Calloway Gardens in Georgia there's a butterfly conservatory.

"I bet THAT'S cool," he said.
"It is," I said. "Sometimes, if you're really still they land on you."







Later that evening, we saw this movie, and at times it made me laugh so hard I thought I was embarrassing Dominic. I thought my chest was going to explode. I thought: Hey, I am having a very good time.

Go see it. Please. It's so good.



4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I am so jealous. I've been telling Matt that he has to take me to the Birmingham Botanical Gardens since I started school. Every time we plan to go, it rains. And to Dominic: whoever is supposed to vacuum and isn't, never give in! Girls rule!

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://qrfzvlho.com/zvnl/qnrv.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://guculfqm.com/ppvh/zglz.html]Cool site[/url]

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://qrfzvlho.com/zvnl/qnrv.html | http://cxcqrycj.com/oygx/rstq.html

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home