Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Experimental Cooking and a Few Future Prospects

Today, I did some Experimental Cooking, and it wasn't a total disaster. Usually, my Experimental Cooking renders something smoking or greasy or too mild or too strong or, if not just plain inedible, then rather unpleasantly palatable. But today was an exception, and now I totally feel like a rock star. Or, okay, I don't feel like a rock star, but I do feel like a Food Network star, and while I was eating the chicken tomato pasta that I so totally improvised from random food items I had on hand (how ambidextrously clever of me), I had an ongoing discussion happening in my head with a make believe television audience, and it went something like this:

Mmmmm...you can taste the pasta; it's al dente, so it has a little bite, and, mmmmm, the tomatoes and the chicken, they come together in your mouth so perfectly. Leaving the skin on as you're cooking the chicken just gives it so much extra flavor. And of course the garlic and the onions are wonderful background notes, and over it all, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the melted mozeralla cheese. So good.

Right.

Almost every day I imagine myself as someone different. A cook. A painter. A webpage designer. An illustrator. An editor. A rock star. A jewelry maker. A musician. A writer--the ubiquitous writer, of course, of course. But I've never really been able to understand what it takes to even be one of those things, fully and whole-heartedly, and with the dedication to make it happen.

So my newest plan has been this whole teaching college thing, which I think I could make work; I really think I could. And I think I'd like it, too. I've been advised by the people who know what they're talking about to get an MFA and not the MA, if I'm not going to go for the doctorate, and I am so totally prepared to do that, to go for it, to make a career happen for myself. But of course it's a little tricky. I can't really finish somewhere until we know where Dominic will be stationed next. I don't know what kind of colleges there will be at that next place, what kind of programs. I just don't know.

Frustrating, yes.

Today, I got my first paycheck for the substituting. Nice. At least I know one thing for certain now--I do NOT want to be an elementary school teacher. And while we're on the subject of things I know for certain (of which there are so few) at least I now know I can improvise a chicken tomato pasta, and it will totally rock.

And, also, I watch WAY too much Food Network.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Ohmygoodness, Kate, your chicken tomato pasta sounds so incredibly delicious. You know what it sounds like? Something James from camp would cook. Oh man, I could use some of that now!

9:36 PM  
Blogger Audra said...

Yeah, teaching elementary school is not all it's cracked up to be. I decided to go the college route, too. How weird is that?

Matt loves to cook experimentally too. He calls me every night to tell me what he's concocting that night. Luckily for me he insists on always doing all the cooking!

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home