Friday, November 05, 2004

Wherein I Become a Glutton for Punishment and am Accepted into an Institution of Higher Learning All in the Same Day

Okay, first thing's first: CAUGHT!

Today, I substituted for the first time ever.

It was everything you ever thought that substituting might be, plus every nightmare you've ever had about being confined in a small room with twenty or so seven and eight year olds for, like, eight hours, plus EVEN MORE THAN THAT, IF YOU CAN EVEN PICTURE IT WITHIN THE DEEPEST DEPTHS OF YOUR IMAGINATION!

However, I ultimately consider the whole ordeal to have gone down rather successfully, and here's why:

  1. I actually found the school.
  2. Holy Jesus Lord, I actually found the school.
  3. Did I mention that I wandered around downtown San Antonio for 45 minutes this morning before I found the school?
  4. But in the end I actually found the school.

And also (and these are two important ones, folks):

  1. I am still alive.
  2. The kids are still alive.

And there you have it. My first substituting experience, from a holistic viewpoint, was extraordinarily and magically and beautifully successful.

But now I have to tell you about all the things that went wrong. And so here's the dirty:

  1. I actually found the school.
  2. The kids, when they saw me, actually shouted, "YES! A SUBSTITUTE!"
  3. The principal had to intervene within the first 30 minutes.
  4. Every time it was time to round up the kids to go somewhere else, they managed to disturb THE WHOLE SCHOOL.
  5. I was stuck with detention detail.
  6. I had to send two kids to the office.
  7. One kid asked me if I was an adult or a teenager with a really sarcastic tone of voice that was meant to suggest that I was too young to be telling her or anyone else what to do.
  8. I actually found the school.

All of this said, however, it wasn't so incredibly bad. When the kids were being calmer they were actually fun. And plus I have a lot of patience for these kinds of things. Even though I'm apparently not mean enough.

I have to work on being MEAN!

GRRRRR!!!

P.S. Also, today I got accepted into Grad School!





2 Comments:

Blogger Audra said...

First of all, congrats on grad school!

Second, being meaner was something I had a LOT of trouble with at the beginning. I still do, somewhat. I always want the kids to like me, when I really shouldn't care. Once you figure out that kids are rat bastards and they will like you even if you're mean, you'll get the hang of it!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yeah, I admire you for dealing with kids. I certainly couldn't, I don't think. They are so crazy. I've got good news too. You know how I'm taking the CLEP test to test out of English 102? I took it this morning, and I passed the multiple choice part. I will know in two weeks if I pass the essay. So that's half of it! Congrats on grad school! I'm so happy and proud of you.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home