Thursday, April 21, 2005

Holy Crap, I'm Thirty!

Holy crapapoopoo, I'm THIRTY.

Excuse me while I work myself into an unwarranted, period of self-inflicted neurosis for no other reason than the America says I'm supposed to when I turn thirty. I guess it is too early for me to have a mid-life crisis, but I did go out and marry a younger woman, buy a sports car, and get a significantly more dangerous job(compared to aircraft weapons, maybe not.) I'm a little shocked I guess when I think about turning this age because I feel just about the same as when I graduated from high school(over a decade ago). Sure I have some aches and pains sometimes, but generally it's because I just ran for miles or something. Anyone would have a few aches I guess...Mostly I'm just shocked at the number I suppose. I'm certain that 15 year old Dominic would have an open mouthed expression at the mere thought of turning thirty. Hell, thirty year old Dominic woke up this morning in disbelief, slack-jawed, muttering "Damn, I'm thirty."

On the trip home from a strange poetry reading last night I thought out loud with Kate and rationalized how turning thirty was ok because of all the things I'd done. It's been a good thirty years and it's only looking better everyday. I suppose I'm just shocked how quickly the time has flown by, and I wonder if in another ten years I'll still wake up in "shock and awe" that ten years has floated by. Maybe it's good that it seems I blinked and woke up fifteen years later. Perhaps it means I've been too busy out there living. Who knows?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Happy Birthday, Sweetie!

Sorry I'm not more of trophy wife.

Love, Kate

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dominic, get used to the fact you're always going to feel younger than your years. 90+ year old Great Aunt Helen said she knew what the calendar said but didn't "feel that old" and neither should you. Afterall, a number (and time) is just an organizing concept: not necessarily longitudinal but layered. (Of course there are some definite physical consequences of living under all those layers ...)

4:28 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Happy Birthday Dominic!!! You don't look or act thirty, so no worries!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home