Saturday, April 16, 2005

RolEx (Not The Good Kind...)

These past few days have been incredibly tough in the Gaskin household. I had a checksim on Tuesday of this week and unfortunately I didn't pass. I then had a re-check on Thursday night and I failed again for the same thing. Basically I put the wrong coordinates into my inertial navigation system (INS) and it caused me to be off course by seven miles when I have a max allowable deviation of five. It really sucks because now I've been rolled into the class behind me and I'll have to repeat some preliminary sims before I face an elimination sim with the director of operations(DO), a Lt. Col. No pressure there. What really sucks is that I was pretty confident that I passed, and then have your instructor give you bad news like that. Twice. At this point the Navy guys in my old class will get their wings and leave Randolph for their new jets while the other AF guys go onto advanced electronic warfare principles. I however am languishing in intermediate navigation.
It could be so much worse for me though, and I feel like it will be easy for me to correct the problems I've been having with my checks so hopefully my next check will go well. When I failed the second time I was teetering on the verge of self-elimination, but luckily Katharine and my Dad convinced me that would be really silly. I've come to far to just drop. I'm talking myself into an "It will all be ok," state of mind, but it has been pretty depressing around here. We're getting over it though. I'll put my boots on and give it my all. By the way, RolEx is roll execution time back...I mean graduation time...sorry.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ethan Wiggum said...

good luck, man.

glad to see you've talked yourself around to staying.

if it were meant to be easy, everyone would do it.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Audra said...

I got rolled back an entire month in basic. I broke both my ankles in week 1 and didn't know it, so by the time week 7 rolled around they figured it out and sent me home. It was HEARTBREAK to call my parents and tell them not to come to my graduation. But I went back and finished. Horrible experience, seriously.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dominic, I couldn't pass out of English composition 101 for three semesters 39 years ago - those crazy English gurus totally flattened my self-confidence, but here I am, ironically enough, making a living at writing. Soldier on, bud, you know you're a winner!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I'm pretty sure that I didn't pass my group fitness certification test. So I will have to pay a bunch of money to take it again. :( I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but I tried. :)

11:56 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Hey, I totally forgot. Y'all need to look at my blog bc I finally figured out how to post pictures after about a year.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home