Friday, October 21, 2005

Speaking of Books

Today I temporarily lost my mind in the bookstore. Fifty-seven dollars worth of science fiction books? What, I don't have that much money in my checking account? Never mind! That's why god invented credit cards!

Normally I don't even carry a balance on my credit card. I do this by a very strategic method, it namely being, that I don't use it. But with all our house buying expenses and a few unforseeable emergencies (re: car wrecks) I've had to reinitiate my credit card into our household finances. It was do that or tell our insurance company, "Hey, we can't pay that $400 deductible, but thanks for trying to bill us anyway," and then end up in jail. I know I shouldn't be putting additional charges on my card right now with our move coming up, but it turns out that today I really, really needed that Philip K. Dick book and that Kurt Vonnegut novel and, oh, oh, I couldn't possibly leave the store without an Ursula K. Le Guin book, but what's one Le Guin book? MAKE IT TWO. I never even got out of the science fiction aisle, people. I had to close my eyes and feel my way to the register and then run out of the store really quickly in order to avoid any more purchases.

Afterward, I did have a little devil on my shoulder telling me to go to a CD store (I mean, I do have a very long roadtrip coming up, one in which I must cater to one very unhappy little kitty as well), but since buying CDs and books nearly always results in rash decision making on my part I just went straight home.

Besides, I have a busy night lined up. First, there's the fourth disc of season 1 of the Gilmore Girls to watch tonight (all of it), and also I got my InStyle magazine in the mail today, so it must be perused, partially at least. Also, there are my new books, one of which must be started tonight, and lastly, I just made a special trip to the grocery store to get my favorite ice cream because watching Gilmore Girls without consuming some form of junk food is considered sacrilege in some countries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home