Thursday, November 03, 2005

Locked out of the house--it only took me three days

Today, Dominic and I got our first taste of When Home Ownership Goes Wrong when, after I returned from the Most Scenic Run Ever, I found that my key, which had locked the door when I left the house, would not in fact unlock the door to let me back in. Dominic had gone to work earlier to check in and I had no idea when he was coming back and no way to contact him to let him know my house key was suddenly and inexplicably worthless. Luckily, we had a very warm day today, so I was only slightly cold, but by the time Dominic pulled up to our house a half an hour later, I'd worked myself into such a frenzy that I cried for two hours. Even after the locksmith had come to replace our broken lock and was gone, I was still blubbering. Only then I was officially blubbering because of my job "audition" with Kaplan--which happened later this evening--because I was scared and I didn't want to practice my presentation and it wasn't fair that I had to do this now with our house such a mess still and I hated everything and life sucked.

Well, I got over that mood, and thank god because I don't know how Dominic refrained himself from opening up a window on the second story of our house and pitching me out of it. I even knew how annoyingly melodramatic I was being, but I couldn't stop myself. I just cried and cried and cried about how our lock to the front door worked one moment and then turned against us the next. Stupid lock. Stupid, stupid lock.

But the job audition with Kaplan went well enough. I won't know if it went well enough for me to be hired until a few days, but it would be nice if I got the job. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. It would seem too easy for me to get a job--just like that--after months of self-inflicted unemployment. Blah, blah, jobs, blah, being a productive part of society again, blah, seeing my name on a check for the first time in 8 months, blah.

Our house is being slowly unpacked, but right now it still feels like we live in a fun house, only not one that's actually too fun but one that's scary and annoying and filled with a lot of boxes and randomly placed crap and you keep tripping over everything and loosing your keys and your cell phone and crying about house keys that suddenly refuse to work and job auditions--that kind of fun house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home