Saturday, December 31, 2005

Vodka Tonic in Hand, People, Vodka Tonic in Hand

I don't normally do these internet meme thingies, but I'm feeling lazy, and I'd like to do a little recap of 2005, so...

1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before? Bought a house. Moved to Nebraska. Saw the state of Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri. Saw the prairie. Attended graduate classes in English.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't make New Year's resolutions. If I did I would resolve to get on with graduate work already, but that's not a resolution. That's a given.
3. Did someone close to you give birth? No, but I have a couple of pregnant friends right now.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No, and thankfully.
5. What countries did you visit? None. I don't like this question. This question takes for granted--nay--EXPECTS that you have visited MULTIPLE foreign countries in the time of a year. Listen here, Question, most people are lucky if they even visit ONE foreign country a year. Geeze.
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005? A little bit of stability and progress when it comes to work and school and getting on with the getting to a place in my life where I feel proud of what I've done and what I do professionally.
7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Most recently, my first wedding anniversary with Dominic. That seemed like a big milestone for us.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I haven't been a big achiever lately. I suppose I have to take us back in the magical time machine all the way to January of 2005 when I successfully enrolled myself in grad school in Texas. I'm in the process of doing the same here in Nebraska. My achievement, I guess, is the continuing process of making sure I'm working toward having a Master's.
9. What was your biggest failure? I rear-ended someone (again). That made me feel like a failure. Maybe also my settling for a menial paying job instead of trying to get a "grown-up" job.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Sort of, I guess. I had to have another mole removed. Other than that, both Dominic and I have been very healthy and very thankful for our health.
11. What was the best thing you bought? I bought a lily flower arrangement for Dominic a while back. I enjoyed doing that for him.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I'm going to say my own. Sometimes I misbehave, but mostly I try to be good.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I wish I could answer this question, but some things must go without saying on the internets...but I'm shaking my proverbial finger at you, AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.
14. Where did most of your money go? First rent. Then car. Then mortgage. Then gas bill.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Moving to Omaha. Buying our house. Walking to the bars nearby (like we're doing tonight). Seeing my sister when she came to visit me in Texas. Seeing Brooke and Dale both times they came to visit us.
16. What song will always remind you of 2005? Whole CDs will remind me. Among them, John Legend, Tegan and Sara, Garden State soundtrack, the Arcade Fire, Regina Spektor, Common, Kanye West, Ben Folds, Interpol. Probably mostly Interpol.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder? I'm the same amount of happy, which is pretty darn happy. I have my moments when I feel like I'm messing everything up, but I think that's a pretty normal feeling for anyone to have no matter their level of happiness...and did I mention I was happy?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Visiting Brooke in Jersey. I said I would twice and flaked out both times. I WON'T DO IT AGAIN, BROOKE. (call me)
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Crying because people let me down.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? We already spent it by the fire in our beautiful old house, drinking vodka tonics, and being all disgustingly in love.
22. Did you fall in love in 2005? A little more, with Dominic. It's strange, but I've definitely found that love is not static and that it can mean and feel like so many different things.
23. Any one-night stands? Nooo.
24. What was your favorite TV program? I've been going through all the Gilmore Girls. I think I'm in love with them. I am pathetic. (Lorelai, call me)
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No. And maybe. Feelings aren't always so black and white, so easily distinguished.
26. What was the best book you read? I read a lot of good books. But the one I'm reading now, The Dispossessed, by Ursula K. Le Guin, is shaping up to be the best, I believe.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Interpol, I have to say. I wouldn't call it a great musical discover, because--hello--they've been around a while, but I like that band, I do.
28. What did you want and get? A really good husband, who loves me, really, really loves me, and puts up with all my quirks. I have a lot of quirks.
29. What did you want and not get? The perfect job to magically fall into my hands without my having to look for it or even know what to look for at all. Perhaps, a realistic way to go about getting an MFA instead of an MA.
30. Favorite film of this year? The best surprise was St. Ralph. Recently, I enjoyed The Family Stone, even though it was nuts and really contrived. Dominic and I liked the family dynamic, though, and want to shoot for something like that with our own clan...one day...very far from this day.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Dominic took me to a winery. I was 23.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? For me to stop being such a coward about most things already. But whatever.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005? In Texas it was one of three white tanktops with one of two pairs of shorts from American Eagle EVERY SINGLE DAY and a pair of flipflops (and I wish I was joking about this). In Nebraska, it's been a variety of sweaters, pants, and jeans. With boots, scarfs, toboggans, gloves, and a brown wool peacoat. One day I mixed it up by wearing a short plaid schoolgirl skirt with almost-hooker black leather knee length boots and fishnet stockings. I wore this to Dominic's work's Christmas party. It was quite satisfying.
34. What kept you sane? Dominic. My crazy sister (you know I love you).
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Lately I've had a crush on Rachel McAdams.
36. What political issue stirred you the most? Not the Valerie Plame crap. But mostly the same-old, same-old. Feeling like we're all being lied to by the higher-ups.
37. Who do you miss? My sister and brother. They're so cool. Too cool for school.
38. Who was the best new person you met? I haven't met anyone new who has become an important part of my life in a long time. Here's hoping 2006 brings some of that.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005: It's important to constantly re-evaluate yourself and your attitude. If you're out of line, apologize immediately.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

You keep me sane too. Thanks for letting me rant about my stupid job. :)

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://eiuaklvc.com/lcaf/syph.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://nwvgqcyk.com/fzeg/gvew.html]Cool site[/url]

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://eiuaklvc.com/lcaf/syph.html | http://nhtkqvpp.com/bkji/xnfe.html

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home