Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Student Again

Well, I'm finally registered for classes at UNO. Dominic has had to put up with a much-to-do of my freaking out, and it's not over, buddy, oh no it's not. I suppose the realization that this is the first truly adult endeavor I've ever undertaken is slowly dawning on me. All I know is that this Master's is going to be a lot of hard work, especially if I opt for going the thesis route, which I think I should. But it's something I need to do--so that I know I can do it, but also so I can get my feet planted more firmly on the ground. People are very lucky if they can figure out what they want. I never could really, but I think I can make this work for me. If I learn enough and really try to be a good scholar and teacher and (most importantly) a genuine lover of books, I think I can make a career of it. It doesn't make me feel sick to my stomach like so many other options do. Perhaps because the intention behind trying to understand and make use of good literature is noble and good and all about trying to better understand our world and our humanity or something like that. Am I right? Close? A fool?

We'll see where this goes. Hopefully to someplace good. Someplace where my brain will stop feeling like a dead mass of brick in my head and ignite into something that holds something useful, valuable even.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Valuable? Undoubtedly. Don't second-guess yourself: just go for the gold and believe in the intrinsic worth of the endeavor. Plan to succeed and prosper by your efforts. One of these days you may even write a book. In Paris. Stranger things have happened. One day you may even be teaching an uncertain (but highly talented) graduate student. Remember what that's like to be a rookie grad student so that you can throw a lifeline to some future student who is stricken with insecurities not unlike your own.

By the by, is an MFA a terminal degree? I was recently asked that question and stumbled through to a stupid response about never having heard of a PhD in Fine Arts.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Most professors consider an MFA to be a terminal degree, but there are some PhD programs in creative writing as well.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Guess what??? I have to get an application and resume in by Sunday if I want an internship this summer. AND I have to go to these meeting things with like real business ppl AND I have to like dress nice and stuff. AHHH. Scariness. I don't want to be an adult. Can we just be kids forever Kate?

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://kvvkdlin.com/xcuu/tppm.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://bfyhsnfx.com/gdfk/nngi.html]Cool site[/url]

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://kvvkdlin.com/xcuu/tppm.html | http://lhidobjw.com/eodu/dziw.html

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home