Saturday, February 26, 2005

First I Want to Finish Graduate School

Friday night, Dominic and I packed up the Z and headed out to Austin to see the Cirque du Soleil and also singlehandedly support the city's local economy for the night by way of eating and then drinking our way up and down historic 6th Street.

Those crazy French Canadian uber-clowns and gymnasts were spectacularly weird and beautiful, just as I remembered from Alegria.



The show was set up in an abandoned airport, blue and yellow striped tents rising up like giant conical candies. Once inside we found ourselves wedged into seats that did not take into consideration the average American's growing needs. I spent my time before the show admiring a charming family in front of us. The couple was young and attractive and they were communicating in sign language. They had an impeccably well-behaved, dangerously cute little girl of, maybe, three. At some point I caught Dominic smiling and raising his eyebrows at her like some kind of newly smitten uncle, and I yelled out,

"You can't have one of those right now!"

Some of you who know us well as a couple might appreciate the significance of my saying such a thing. For the rest of you, Dominic has basically been trying to convince me to have his babies even before we even thought about getting married. I blame it on his fast approaching thirtieth birthday, and his mother who once, in a phone conversation, tried to convince him to procure some grandchildren for her.

"You should have some babies," she said.
"But, Ma, we're not even married," he said.
"So?"

Even now sometimes we have to have talks that go something like this:

"You know we don't need any children right now, right?" I say.
"Yeah, I know."
"Whew, good. Why are you smiling?"
"Dude, I'm totally going to knock you up one day."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell him he can have his babies - no problem - just as soon as he develops the capacity to bear them himself ... meanwhile, stick to the plan, finish school. You won't regret making this investment in yourself and in your future.

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home