Friday, May 13, 2005

Black Sheep

Yesterday I went to a step aerobics class, mostly because my little sister is coming to town next Thursday and she teaches aerobics. My little sister is small and cute and peppy, gloriously physically fit and favored among our parents, and so I feel the need to prove that I can do things that she can, like wear a lot of eye makeup and have curly hair and be cute and talk about bowel movements a lot.

Because I have a smidgen of dance training, I always do well in aerobics classes where coordination seems to be key, and this time one was no different, except that I feel, today, as if a truck hit me sometime in the night and rearranged all my limbs. This, even on top of the resistance I've built up with my two mile treadmill jaunt multiple times each week. I'm actually a terrible runner, resembling something like a hybrid of an elephant stampeding out of the jungle and a camel in a tutu. But I try anyway, because my dad is a marathon runner and my sister and brother both ran cross country in high school and my sister now teaches aerobics. That's a lot of pressure there to be physically fit. Also, I come from a family of small people who are skinny. I'm a relatively small person myself, but once you factor in age and sex fluctuations I happen to be the heifer.

It goes like this:

Genetics tell me, "Hey, we're working for you. We're on your side, but honestly put back that brownie, now."

Sometimes I listen. Sometimes I don't. But, seriously, my sister is coming in less than a week. She is coming armed with lots of pep and cuteness and stories about bowel movements and also a red-headed boyfriend in training to be a personal trainer. So I have to get ready, right? I can't always have my little sister one-upping me. With her cuteness. And her frank talk of poop. So I went to an aerobics class.

Wow, am I glad that's over with.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your little sis poop aerobically, too?? What's with all the BM chat - sounds like a waste to me.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Okay, first of all, just because I don't have the internet this summer doesn't give you the right to talk about me. And I don't talk about poop. Well, all the time at least. Geez.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home