Thursday, November 17, 2005

Being Serious...Kind of

Driving to the grocery store today to pick up ingredients for minestrone tonight (oh, the cooking, it never ends) I crested a hill and came upon the large city graveyard two blocks from our house. It was blanketed in snow, and I know, I know what snow looks like. I even know what accumulated snow looks like, snow that covers lawns and rooftops and the tops of cars, snow lining bare branches, snow disappearing into the dirty muck of the streets. I know what that kind of snow looks like. But I've never seen a graveyard of snow. And the sight was something beautifully desolate, something indescribable, an inexplicable sadness that comes upon you as you realize you're seeing something for the first time, something you never even knew to look for. I felt sad or lonely. I'm not sure which.

I had a man call out to me in the grocery store when I first walked in. "Whatever you're doing, it's working," he said, and I couldn't figure out if that was a comment on my looks in general (if so, thank you) or if this man was some sort of physical realization, sent to me from my psyche, of what I know internally to be true. I have been happy lately.

1 Comments:

Blogger Audra said...

Hm, that's really weird. About the man.

My sister is looking a great deal like my mom these days. It's scary, really.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home