Monday, January 23, 2006

Procrastination and Prom Dresses

Lately I've been trying to work on balance, like that's not what everyone who finds themselves suddenly busy tries to do. But I'm not that busy, so I still have to monitor myself when I know I'm taking too much free time, when I've been on the internet for two hours clicking from link to link through garbage, when I've been sitting on the couch and not reading, when I've been noting for weeks what an awful mess our beautiful house is, and still I can't find the time to clean it up. Also, I've been trying to run, and wow has the Nebraska weather been helping me out. But oftentimes I find that I just can't get my priorities straight. Like today, I had plenty of time to a.) piddle around on the internet this morning for about an hour or so of free time, b.) do reading for my class and a bit of at-home internet research, c.) go for a half-hour run, d.) go to the library before class for some more research, and e.) drop by the English office to take care of a few things I've been putting off the last couple of weeks. I did about half those things, which is all right, I guess, but why, I ask you, couldn't I somehow have found it within my capabilities to finish all of it? I just don't know. Maybe tomorrow I'll be better about getting things done. But probably not.

On a lighter note, hey, I've had wonderful running weather lately. Which means tomorrow we'll have a snowstorm, but whatever. What matters is that I've been out running with some regularity again and that's awesome. Something else that's awesome: I bought my prom dress! Actually, the event was tinged with a bittersweetness, as I'd hoped to extend the search for the aforementioned dress for at least a month or longer, which would have meant that I would have gotten to drag Dominic to a lot of stores and try on a lot of dresses, but alas, I found the perfect dress on a sales rack at Dillards at 8:00 at night last Saturday, and I had no choice but to buy it, even if prom isn't for another two months. I won't even need to buy new shoes to go with it because I already have the perfect shoes (and, darn, I was looking forward to buying another pair of shoes!) but I've managed to comfort myself with the fact that I still have to find the right clutch and jewelry, and that could take months (oh, joyousness). And this is what I derive pleasure from, folks. But why isn't it fun to buy pretty frivolous things, especially since I know it's rare for me to have a use for them? So when I do, have a use for them that is, it's fun.

And also, just to tie in the whole wasting time theme with the prom dress shopping theme, don't think I didn't spend an hour and a half combing the internet for a picture of the dress I bought so I could post it here for you to see. If you did assume that I would never waste time that way, you'd be incorrect.

3 Comments:

Blogger Audra said...

When I first got to college, dressing up for concerts was fun. Fixing hair, wearing jewelry, wearing DRESSES, even (although everything had to be black)!! By junior year, I had a pair of black stretch pants and a stretchy black shirt (with a collar!) and wore the perpetual ponytail.

I suppose getting dressed up to go to a prom would be super fun. I get to be the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding in June- even though I didn't pick the dress, it'll still be fun!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And so I take it you spent that hour and a half in vain?

Sales are good. So is the running. And no doubt Dominic is thankful on both accounts.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I'm still mad bc I want to go to prom. I'm jealous.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home