Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Doctors

I hate going to them, especially now that I have to schedule all my appointments myself and decide on my own when I need medical attention. My pseudo-adult self hates being responsible for this. When I'm feeling well I loathe phoning in appointments. When I'm feeling sick I would prefer a big slap on the face to making the decision about whether I should seek medical care.

I just made an appointment for today, noon, to address some throat and nasal issues that have been plaguing me for the last few days. When I woke up this morning as Dominic was leaving, I felt for the second morning in a row like death had been stomping around in my throat and on the back of my head and neck and into and out of my nasal cavities all night. I haven't even really been able to sleep for the past two nights, I've been so uncomfortable. So, I said to myself--Enough!--and scheduled an appointment. But of course, now I'm feeling a little better, and I worry that when I see the doctor in a few hours I'll just get a quizzical eyebrow raise and instructions to take Tylenol Cold or something. I'm no good at figuring out when I'm really sick. I just know I've felt bad for several days and I want it to go away. Go away Sick Feeling!

Doctors scare me. They always make me feel bad for feeling bad. They're always in such a hurry, and I feel like I inconvenience them with my sicknesses or pseudo-sicknesses as they may be. Also, I'm still getting used to Tricare, my new military medical insurance, and so far it's been ugly. Already there's been one botched OBGYN exam and a dermatologist exam performed by someone who is not, in fact, a dermatologist. I should have gotten a referral to a real dermatologist from this doctor, but I was freaked out about having a thorough skin exam performed by a pregnant woman in BDU's (thorough skin exam means getting naked, people) so I passed. Perhaps the doctor I see today will be able to give me a referral, or maybe he'll sedate me and cut open my skull and eat my brains while I conjure up hallucinations of a world in which I don't ever have to go to another doctor ever again. Maybe there's even something really wrong with me other than a weird, freaky cold and he'll give me medicine to help me feel better.

Wouldn't that be something.

1 Comments:

Blogger Audra said...

Tricare bites. When I was at basic and had TWO BROKEN ANKLES, they gave me 800mg ibuprofen and told me I'd be fine. FIVE WEEKS LATER I was not fine and got sent home from basic. Nice.

Military drs generally have little medical training. Splurge and get a real dr. :)

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home