Monday, July 11, 2005

In which I make mention of mucus, Jeremy Piven, E Hollywood True Stories, and the fact that an 8 year-old could do better than me in math on the GRE

I'm feeling much better, to Dominic's colossal relief, I'm sure. There were about three too many nights in a row, there, of my waking up drowning in my own mucus and then moaning myself in and out of sleep throughout the wee hours of morning. Oh, was that gross? I'm sorry.

So, in accordance with Audra's advice and also my apparently ever-growing phobia of pregnant doctors in BDU's, I'm going off Tricare Prime and finding me some civilian doctors. Yes, it sucks to have to moderately pay for healthcare that would be free at the base, but, dang, not having a certified woman doctor or skin doctor to look after my woman and skin parts is making me skittish and turning me into a monster hypochondriac. My moles, they need a dermatologist! That's a little gross too, right? I'm sorry.

In other news, I finally got a reply from the graduate department at UNL, and I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH WORK IT'S GOING TO BE TO APPLY THERE. It's a good thing I don't have a job, because at this point, Mission Get Accepted to UNL is my job. In the next few months I'm going to have to:

1. Step up the creative writing so I have more than NO strong pieces to submit, which is what I have right now: no strong pieces.

2. Either doctor up an existing academic paper to meet the 15-20 page limit or start from scratch.

3. Bother my professors from Troy and UTSA for recommendations. This will be my second stalking of my professors from Troy by the way, and actually, come to think of it, if you count all the retreats and conventions and residencies that I applied to in college that I did not get accepted to--nary a one--this will actually be my 5th or 6th time stalking my old Troy professors for letters of recommendations. They must be getting tired of it.

4. Take the GRE subject exam in literature. This is such a wildcard, folks. It's like just because I have a degree in books they expect me to remember everything I read in college. Or even most of it. Or half.

5. Retake the GRE. This is because I don't want UNL to know that an 8-year old could score better than me in math and because my analytical writing score is indicative of perhaps the writing of a brighter than average monkey.

So, I have a lot to do, including studying up on some expletive, expletive precalculus and some expletive, expletive geometry. This means that I won't have time anymore to watch E Hollywood True Stories, but I can still watch Entourage because our TV automatically records it and it's funny and I consider it to be mildly cultural because Jeremy Piven has been in like a billion movies and TV shows, so all the assimilated pop culture he subconsciously brings to the show must be of some educational value--or not.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you, child, you do have a thing or two to do. Stalk away and GRE be damned ...

5:26 PM  
Blogger Audra said...

Haha. I'LL write you a letter. :) That would be interesting.

I'm very lucky that all I had to do to get in grad school was take a random lesson with the clarinet teacher and sign a couple of forms. It was nice.

Good luck with all that! When's the move?

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UTSA ... barf. I feel like I live there.

~ melly. I don't remember my expletive, expletive password.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home