Monday, March 06, 2006

You Know You Want to Hang Out with Us

Dominic and I invited a few friends over on Saturday night for, as Dominic termed it, cocktails. Nearly a half an hour after show time, we sat alone in our study reassuring ourselves that we're fun. You think we're fun, right? Yeah, we're fun! I think we're fun too! We're fun! And then we sat there and blinked at each other until people finally started showing up, and after that we gave out a collective exhale because it's difficult to justify your self-anointed state of being fun if no one will come to your house for free booze.

At some point, not too long after everyone showed up, the conversation veered toward luxury cars (which more than a few of us own or have just bought) and insurance premiums, not to mention all the talk about housing developments and house buying. Then Dominic said something about he couldn't believe we were talking about insurance premiums instead of concentrating soley on gettin' drunk. And then someone else said, "Yeah, this is a totally yuppie party." Then everyone left all at once at 10:30, and something inside of me died.

I looked at Dominic and I said, "We're fun, right?" And he said, "Heck, yeah we're fun!" "Let's walk to the bar, then!" "Let's walk to the bar!" And then we gave each other a high five, and walked to the bar and sat down and ordered a vodka tonic, and Dominic said, "I'm drunk and sleepy." So we stayed just a little bit longer, as tonic for being such yuppies. Then we walked home and passed out.

But we are so fun! We promise we are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

I feel ya. Only three people came to my Christmas party for my high school class. And most of them were home with nothing better to do. And my dad took over the grill which made me angry.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home