Tuesday, May 30, 2006

In Which I Annoy You with My Trendiness

So, this was one of the things Dominic got me for my birthday. Happy birthday to me! I had previously occupied my time with excuses as to why buying an ipod would be too frivolous, too expensive, too everything for someone like me, but Dominic got me one anyway, and I'm now on my second day of trying to download all my favorite songs onto this sleek, teeny-tiny, razor-thin miracle of a device. It's so little and cute and it packs such a punch I've found myself trying to put it in my mouth like the sweet crispy delicious cookie it is. Here's a little internet game I had once scoffed at in bored disdain, but now that I am one of the annoying ipod-carrying, ear bud-wearing masses, I have become a raging hypocrite. Okay, enough with the adjectives.

Instructions: Set ipod to shuffle, write down ALL ten songs that come up first, try not to be embarrassed.

1. "Wouldn't It Be Nice" The Beach Boys.
Dominic and I are shamelessly avid re-watchers of 50 First Dates, a cute, funny, and surprisingly tender movie starring Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler. Our favorite part of this movie (which we have seen approximately 127 times on HBO) is the moment when Adam says goodbye to Drew forever, and Drew's father gives him a parting gift of a CD of Beach Boys songs Drew loves, and as Adam sails away on his boat he sings this song and starts crying and says, "Why would you [give me this CD], you sick bastard!" Woo, we think that's funny. Er, maybe you'll just have to watch the movie.

2. "Never Know" Jack Johnson
This is Jack Johnson's newest CD, not counting the soundtrack he made for the Curious George movie. This is a good song, but not my favorite. I already have no recollection of downloading it.

3. "Alice Childress" Ben Folds Five
This is one of my favorites from Ben Folds Five. Dominic is inspired by the first lines which go, "Some summers in the evening after six or so, walk on down the hill, and maybe buy a beer." When we moved to Omaha we wanted to be able to live someplace where we could do that. Mission accomplished. I totally stole this song my freshman year of college in the salad days of Napster, but I bought the CD a little more than a year ago, so stop looking at me like that.

4. "Philosophy" Ben Folds Five
Again, one of my favorites. Again, I stole it before I bought it. Somewhere in the piano-frenzied middle of this song, Ben Folds borrows from "Rhapsody in Blue," which is wicked cool. I also used my affinity for this song to make boys think I was cool in college. It totally worked. Suckers.

5. "The Way You Move" Big Boi
This CD came out right before Dominic and I started dating. That last fall of college we went to the bar more than perhaps was wise, but I was freshly 21 and we were in love and it was a fun time. This song was played constantly. One time, Brooke and I were dancing to it in the bar we mostly frequented, the Porch, and Dominic came shimmying up behind Brooke and preceded to Drop It Like It Was Hot. I'm still laughing at that.

6. "Gone" Kanye West
This is one of my more favorites off "Late Registration." It's a good song. It samples from a really good song that I don't know, though I feel like I should.

7. "Time" Ben Folds
We were living in San Antonio when I bought this CD. I listened to this song on repeat for about a week. It's beautiful and simple. Noticing a pattern with the Ben Folds yet?

8. "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" Collin Hay
I find this song to be indescribably sad and very beautiful. It's one of those few songs where the writing speaks to me more than the arrangement of music. Dominic and I had an argument over whether this song is about a break-up (it is) and I had to patiently prove him wrong. I feel kind of dirty because I discovered it off the Garden State soundtrack, which is actually an incredible compilation of songs even if it is the poster boy CD for sensitive indie rock/emo and probably deserves to be made fun of.

9. "Caring is Creepy" The Shins
This is also from Garden State. Hardcore fans of the Shins probably hate that there are people out there (me) who only know about this band through the movie, but whatever.

10. "Could You Be Loved" Bob Marley
I thought this song was "Good to Be Loved" until I downloaded it into my ipod, so, yeah, the ipod is educational as well as recreational. I listen to Bob Marley because of Dominic. He's actually influenced my musical tastes much more than these ten songs show.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally get the reference to "Rhapsody in Blue" -- the other stuff, not so much (except the Beach Boys, yeah, I can hum that). Happy Ipoduous Birthday!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Welcome to the ipod world. Now you can listen to it constantly and wish for accessories and the ever-illustrious new or larger ipod. (I'm already to the last mentioned club.) Enjoy it. The thing really is wonderful and terribly convenient. Now if I could just get an adapter for my car...

2:34 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Look at my blog for graduation pictures. Peace out.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home